Name of the project:
Presently, a total of 16 community radio stations are on air located in 15 different districts covering all 7 divisional geographic regions namely Rangpur, Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal, Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet. The rate of literacy, culture, dialect, ritual norms, profession, and fashion of communication are observed different from region to region. In this phase, we are planning to implement the project addressing all seven regions and the communities as well.
Overview of the Project
Since September 2012 we have been implementing American English Radio Project (AERP) for upgrading English language skills of the community radio listeners in Bangladesh. We have started the project as a pilot phase with radio Pollikontho (at Moulvibazar). In last October 01, 2013, we have replicated the same project (3rd phase) in other 4 radio stations in different parts of the country namely Radio Padma, Jhenuk, Sagorgiri and Naf. In this 4th phase we have adapted the lessons learned from the previous phases.
During implementation of the project, we have observed that the demand and interest of English learning listeners are increasing rapidly. Listeners were getting program-friendly environment in the radio stations. They visited the stations to meet the program producers, presenters, facilitators and voice players to share their experiences. They sent SMS and made phone calls to the presenters during the live broadcasting. This experience made us confident to replicate and continue this project in all 16 CR station sites of the country.
This AERP 4th phase is implementing through all 16 community radio stations in different parts of Bangladesh. The stations are Community Radio Chilmari (Kurigram), Radio Borendra (Naogaon), Radio Mukti (Bogra), Radio Padma (Rajshahi), Radio Mohananda (Chaipai Nawabgonj), Radio Jhenuk (Jhenaidah), Radio Nalta (Satkhira), Radio Sundarban (Khulna), Krishi Radio (Amtoli, Barguna), Lokobetar (Barguna), Radio Meghna (Bhola), Radio SagarDwip (Hatia), Radio Naf (Cox’s Bazar), Radio Sagorgiri (Chittagong), Radio Pollikontho (Moulvibazar) and Radio Bikrampur (Munshigonj).
The project will address the need of low intermediate level learners (who have had a minimum of about a year of English study). Besides, radio episodes will specifically target the secondary and higher level students of schools, madrashas and colleges; the drop-outs, members of listeners groups, English language teachers in local institutions, English language club members and other potential radio listeners, interested in English language learning.
Improving English language skills of the outreach audience by using Community Radio
– To create a listeners-friendly environment in the rural communities to learn English language for building up their carrier.
– To revise the existing learning materials and broadcast appropriate radio English language learning episodes for the rural learners through 16 Community Radio stations of Bangladesh.
– To develop, remake and broadcast rural success stories as educational and motivational materials for encouraging the community people for learning English language.
– To engage community radio staffs, veteran teachers, listeners and consultants from national level in content development, program monitoring, evaluation, further improvement, continuation and extension of the project in the future.
September 30, 2015 to December 31, 2016
- a.Orientation of Radio staffs on the project goal, objectives and activities.
- b.Develop and Broadcast Radio episodes on English Language.
- c.Engaging English Language Teachers
- d.Engaging Radio Listeners Club (RLC)
- e.Campaign and advocacy
- f.Broadcast Success stories
- g.Knowledge sharing workshop
Outcome of the project
After completion of the project, the level of English language skills of the target students, listeners, other potential listeners and veteran teachers will be improved. We expect an approximately 1 60,000 listeners will be benefitted from the total project AERP. We will have a certain numbers of proven English language learning materials ready for replicating in other Community radio stations in Bangladesh.
Three-fold project approach constitutes of Engaging 1. Community radios, 2. English language teachers and 3. Radio listeners’ club members.
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aerpbd/