Project Name: Family Planning in Bangladesh “Improving Quality & Access” Through Community Radio
Project Period: September 2017 to March 2018
Budget : BDT 1,726,430.00
Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC) has been struggling for the last 18 years to open up the community media (including Community Radio, Community Television) and giving focus on its vital role as voices of the voiceless rural people.
Now 17 Community Radio Stations are on-air in the country, aiming to ensure empowerment and right to information for the rural community. They are broadcasting altogether 135 hours program per day on information, education, local entertainment and development motivation activities. Around 100 Youth Women & Youth are now working with those Stations throughout the country as rural broadcasters. Another 15 Community Radio will start broadcast by end of this year.
These programs are quite supportive to the activities reflected in 7th 5year plan of Government of Bangladesh, UN World Summit on the Information Society (UN WSIS) Action Plan, and UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
BNNRC uses community radio programming to encourage delayed parenthood, the consistent use of effective methods of contraception, and safer sexual behaviors, as well as to empower women to play equal roles in family decisions and in society from 2010.
Ipas Bangladesh, in partnership with the Directorate General of Health Services, the Directorate General of Family Planning and local stakeholders, is poised to implement a five years project to cultivate an environment that supports women in accessing a full range of family planning services. Under this project, it is proposed to increase the availability of high-quality contraceptive services; educate and empower women to access the reproductive health care to which they are entitled; and advocate at the local & national level for improved reproductive health services.
Through implementation of this project, Ipas Bangladesh will focus comprehensive interventions in Sylhet, Chittagong, Barisal and Dhaka, where unmet contraceptive need is greatest, with more targeted interventions in Rangpur and Rajshahi. Special attention will be paid to increasing contraceptive provision for post abortion and postpartum clients, as well as increasing the availability of long-acting and permanent methods. Additionally, the project will emphasize reaching un-served and underserved populations, particularly adolescents and newly married women.
Here it is noted that in the period of October 2015 to June 2016, Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC): has broadcasted a family planning concept in a name of LARC (Long Acting and Reversible Contraceptive) in collaboration with five community radio stations (Radio Lokobetar in Barguna, Radio Pollikantha in Moulovibazaar, Radio SagarGiri in Sitakunda, Chittagong and Radio Naf in Teknaf, Cox’s Bazaar) with a view to building awareness of community people on long lasting contraceptive methods along with other family planning services, the objectives of LARC.
- To provide accurate information to the general public, combating myths and misperceptions around FP, especially LARC, and raising awareness about the FP services available in local facilities.
- To build the capacity of Community Radio Station Managers, selected producers, and local level government personnel (CR Broadcasters), in their ability to communicate and facilitate shame-free medically accurate information and conversations on FP methods, including LARC, with local communities through radio programs and community listening circles.
In LARC, the contents were Radio Magazine program & Talk show, Public Service Announcement (PSA), awareness meeting with listener clubs members, radio set distribution among quiz winners etc.
To improve and increase women access to safe Family Planning (FP), Menstruation Regulations (MR) and Post Abortion Care (PAC) services by increasing Knowledge and supporting environment.
- Scope of work to improve and increase community awareness of Family Planning services to increasing uptake of Quality Family planning (QFP) services of women and men including adolescents, young adults and newly wedding couples through implementation of community radio program.
- Provide accurate information to the general public, combating myths and misconceptions about modern contraceptive methods of FP and long-acting methods and promoting Post-Partum Family Planning (PPFP) and Post Abortion Family Planning (PAFP) and raising awareness about the FP services available in local facilities.
- Build the capacity of Community Radio station managers, selected producers and local level government personnel, in their ability to communicate and facilitate shame free medically accurate information and conversation on FP methods, Menstruation Regulations (MR) & Post Abortion Care (PAC) with local communities through radio program and community listeners group members.
Goal & purposes of Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC):
- To help/assist and capacity building of community radio stations (CRSs) on program planning, designing and broadcasting for promoting quality family planning (QFP).
- To supplement/complement for achieving desire goal of the project.
- Revise/edit and reprint of existing primer/booklet on improving access to Quality Family Planning (QFP).
- Capacity building training (02 days) for the CR Station Managers and Program Producers and Local Journalist on QFP project implementation approach and activities.
- Radio Magazine Program on Family Planning and Reproductive Health.
- Radio Talk show on Family Planning & Reproductive Health.
- Group meeting with eligible couple through listeners clubs.
- Public Service Announcement (PSA) or Spot or Jingle.
- Broadcasting of Public Service Announcement (PSA) and Jingle.
- Fellowship Program for Rural Journalist.
- Quiz competition and prize distribution ceremony.
Expected Result of the project:
- Listeners will be more aware about modern contraceptive methods of Family Planning and long-acting methods
- Promoting Postpartum Family Planning (PPFP) and Post Abortion Family Planning (PAFP) and raising awareness about the FP services available in local facilities that will reduce the social stigma
- Know better the different methods of birth control, get accurate information on service centers
- Inspired to adopt Family Planning (FP) methods for reducing birth rate and child and mother mortality rates.
Ipas Bangladesh, patronized by Directorate of Health Services, Directorate of Family Planning, Directorate of Nursing and Midwifery under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh has been implementing the project titled “Improving Access to Quality Family Planning (QFP) in Bangladesh” in collaboration with Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC) since October 2015.
Development Partner: Ipas Bangladesh & UKaid DFID – Department for International Development, UK
Community Radio Lokobetar (Barguna), Radio Naf (Cox’s Bazar), Radio Meghna (Bhola), Radio Pollikontha (Moulovibazaar), Radio Padma (Rajshahi), Radio Mohananda (Chapainawabgonj), Radio Borendra (Naogaon), Radio Chilmari (Kurigram) and Radio Sarabela (Gaibandha).
Mr. Bimal Kanti Kuri
Project Coordinator- Quality Family Planning (QFP)
Bangladesh NGOs Network for Radio and Communication (BNNRC)
House # 9/4, Road # 02, Shaymoli,
Cell: +88 01711-183909 Fax: 88-02-9138501 |
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com |